Friday, March 27, 2009

Screw this, I'm moving to New England

I live in Wisconsin, a state that in 2006 voted 59% to 41% to amend the state constitution to define marriage as "between one man and one woman" and ban anything "substantially similar" to marriage. Lame.

The positive strides that have been made for equality over the last few years have come from the coastal states, and mostly the east coast. This week is the epitome of that trend. An article by the Associated Press sums it up nicely.

I'm not saying relationship recognition is without hope in the fly over states. In fact, it's strong gay and lesbian individuals and organizations that will make it possible for change to come to those states in maybe five or ten years, so a mass exodus is not the order of the day. But I don't want to wait - I want in the fray now.

Hence I say "Screw this, I'm moving to New England."

http://mashedmusings.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/lesbian-wedding-cake-topper.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment