Thursday, March 19, 2009

Marry Me, Juliet



I don't listen to a lot of Top 40, but this song caught my attention. Only hearing bits of the lyrics on the radio, the song sounded a little bit, well, gay. What can I say? The line "My daddy said 'Stay away from Juliet'" sung by a girl evokes forbidden love of the sapphic kind.

Upon further inspection, the song is about as heteronormative as it gets. But I'm always a sucker for a Romeo and Juliet re-imagining...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZqneAwsEour3yBSC_bEyW687AAe6bvkdi4epg2PM-ptR1WtKvjYKrvUmXmtYES1Xzk3rCRWz-aL61lxn8buZB8Hd8tWopUzoFbREQ-dbPjXTAZ3_dRzdbTA_6nrk5lX5eLzxPnI8fwZ_e/s400/Claire-Danes---Romeo-Juliet--C10103871.jpg

... and I'm definitely a sucker for a cute blonde with southern drawl.
http://www.cmt.com/sitewide/assets/img/artists/swift_taylor/photo_gallery/love_story/love_story_01-x600.jpg

So, I'll keep listening to it, just ignoring the pronouns.

This post can also serve as the first installment of Ways the Straight Girl Knows She's Gay (WSGKSG). Pretty self-explanatory.

WSGKSG #23 (the numbers mean nothing - there's no method to this madness): Upon reading Romeo and Juliet, she identifies more with Romeo than Juliet. Not necessary in an I-want-to-be-a-boy kind of way, but in a way where she gets to be the one to climb up to the balcony - gets to be the one to fight for love (literally). To be explored further.

No comments:

Post a Comment